Fibro Scan, Painless Liver Test
Center : Gastrointestinal and Liver Center
Choose to read by topic:
What is FibroScan
FibroScan is a technology used to diagnose liver diseases, specifically used to diagnose and detect fatty deposits in the liver and liver fibrosis. This method is painless and has no risk of complications unlike traditional tests, which requires liver piercing method, also, it can be detected before you get sick. Because when you check and anticipate the problem the treatment will be more effective.
Liver Abnormalities Symptoms
What are the symptoms that would indicate abnormalities of the liver
- Have yellow or light yellow eyes, that could indicatean abnormal liver function, it is not possible to remove the substance that cause jaundice
- Weakness, even after getting enough sleep and often having dyspepsia. This is because the liver cannot secret enzymes used for digestion
- Having a family history of liver cancer because there is a chance that other people will be at high risk with the disease
- Being a chronic alcoholic who has been drinking or currently still drinks because alcohol will damage the liver directly
Your physician may recommend a FibroScan test if you have one of the following chronic liver conditions:
- Autoimmune Hepatitis
- Genetic Diseases (such as Hemochromatosis and Wilson's Disease)
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Alcoholic Liver Disease
- Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH)
In addition, a doctor may require the process of Fibroscan for the accurate diagnosis and the follow up on the disease which may affect the liver:
- Alcoholic fatty liver. - As you may know, alcohol effect directly to hepatitis. It also caused the fat accumulation, an inflammation and the fibrosis in the liver which will be causing cirrhosis coming on the next stage
- Non- alcoholic fatty liver - A fatty liver from other risk factors in various conditions, including obesity, especially in those who are obese. Those who diagnosed diabetes, Hyperlipidemia and high blood pressure, Metabolic related diseases, Regular intake of high-energy foods such as flour, sugar, fat, hepatitis B and C infection or HIV infection. Side effects from certain medications, such as certain antiviral drugs, chemotherapy drugs, antihormonal drugs or steroid drugs
- Hepatitis virus infection in particular, hepatitis B and C can cause chronic hepatitis. and increase your risk of cirrhosis or liver cancer or have liver failure
FibroScan is a new technology used to diagnose liver diseases, specifically used to detect fatty deposits in the liver and liver fibrosis. This procedure takes around 10 minutes. The patient must lie on his back on the bed and raise both arms above their head. The doctor will apply a small amount of gel on the probe or skin of the patient. The doctor will use a fibro scan tool, measure the center of the liver.
How to Prepare for FibroScan
Refrain from eating for at least 3 hours prior to FibroScan test.
Process of FibroScan
- The patient must lie on his back on the bed and raise both arms above theirhead.
- The doctor will apply a small amount of gel on the probe or skin of the patient. This aidsin getting the best results for examination
- Using a fibro scan tool, measure the center of the liver approximately 10 times at the same spot
- Wait for the results and the doctor will interpretthe results for the examinee. Ready to give advice which if found to have fibrosis and high liver fat will be sent to the next treatment process
FibroScan emits low frequency at 50 hertz with VCTETM technique (Vibration Controlled Transient Elastograply) to the liver, and measures the sound wave that reflects and calculate the result as density of the liver. The harder the liver, the faster the sound wave reflects back. It is measured as kilopascal (kPa).
The fat in the liver is measured as CAP (Controlled Attenuation Parameter) emits low frequency to the liver and measures with the resistance value. The fattier the liver, the higher of the resistance value. It is measured as (dB/m).
The result of the hardness in the liver is shown as 1.5-75 kPa. The result of the fat in the liver is measured as 100-400 decibels/meter. The doctor will read the result, follow the disease, determine the severity of the liver cirrhosis, and plan the treatment eventually.
Limitation of Fibroblasts
- Do not use to examine other organs - Fibro scans are designed to be used for liver function only. Therefore, should not be used with other organs, it may cause harmful effects
- Do not use with people with edema - while having edema,should not be examined with a FibroScan, because the frequency from the device may promote severe symptoms
- Do not use on pregnant women - because the fibrous spectrum affects the development and growth of the fetus. Therefore, absolutely should not be used and should not be near the device during use
- Do not use on patients with body equipment - In patients requiring body equipment. Do not use FibroScan as their frequency will damage the device, causing damage or other side effects
Is a FibroScan Painful?
Many questions may rise at this moment. You may wonder why we need to have FibroScan? Does it hurt to have FibroScan? How long does it take for FibroScan? Is FibroScan same as Ultrasound? With the current lifestyle of people in this generation such as eating unhealthily and no exercise; increases the risk of fatty liver, is the cause of liver disease. When the disease shows the symptoms, it mostly already becomes liver cancer or cirrhosis. Nowadays, Thai people have fatty liver more and more. The disease does not show any symptoms; patients have no clue about the disease. FibroScan is the fast, easy, painless procedure for having liver examination.
Ultrasound & FibroScan
What is the difference between the FibroScan and the Ultrasound?
The ultrasound detects liver mass, kidney stone or gallstone. If abnormalities are detected in the body, they must be monitored for changes in the lesions in order to confirm the diagnosis whether a lump was found on the others test like the liver biopsy.
FibroScan is a method using ultrasound waves with a special probe on the right abdominal are to determine the amount of fat and fibrosis in the liver. The patient would feel only small waves transmitting through the skin. There is no pain and it only takes a 10-15 minutes for the examination. Results can be determined immediately after the examination and using the test results to diagnose positively and assess the risk of patients with fatty liver disease or fibrosis, whether or not it is close to cirrhosis.
FibroScan is the best solution for everyone's needs. It can detect the extent of fat on the liver or fatty liver and cirrhosis without pain and less preparation time. It can be done in a short period of time with fast diagnosis result
Why must come to Nakornthon?
Gastrointestinal and Liver Center at Nakornthon Hospital is the specialized medical center which provide the best treatment for Intestinal and liver diseases and provides the best services to a patient. We provide a professional team to give you the accurate diagnosis and treatment on the fatty liver and the liver fibrosis along with the operating room for the examination.
FibroScan is the innovative technology that provides complete service from diagnosis to treatment by doctors specializing in gastroenterology and liver with professional nurses and well-trained medical personnel.
Pacakages and Promotions
Article of Gastrointestinal and Liver Center
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Hepatitis - Symptoms, Types
Constipation With Diarrhea
Gallstone - Symptoms, Treatment
Liver RFA for Tumors
Transarterial Chemoembolization (TACE)
What Causes Liver Cancer
UGIB - Causes, Treatment
Cirrhosis - Symptoms, Treatment
Fatty Liver - Symptoms, Treatment
Colon Cancer, symptoms and risk
EGD - Upper GI Endoscopy
Why you shouldn’t ignore GERD
Fibro Scan, Painless Liver Test
2 Different common diseases with similar symptoms Gastritis vs GERD
Hepatitis B the threat of cirrhosis, liver cancer
H Pylori bacteria causing gastric ulcer disease
Check for symptoms ... warning signs of GERD.
Abdominal pain when hungry, a warning signal 'stomach disease'
Advice to patients about appendicitis
Check your bowel health at the age of 50+ with "colon cancer screening endoscopy"