Endoscopic Spinal Surgery
Center : Nakornthon Absolute Spine Care
Article by : Dr. Sittipong Suttiudom
Choose to read by topic:
- What is Endoscopic Spinal Surgery
- Advantages of Endoscopic Spinal Surgery
- Spinal Disease that Can be Treated with Endoscopic Spinal Surgery
- Indications for Endoscopic Spinal Surgery
- Who Should Consider Endoscopic Spinal Surgery
- Endoscopic Spinal Surgery Procedure
- FAQ Related to Endoscopic Spinal Surgery
- Endoscopic Spinal Surgery Conclusion
- Why choose Nakornthon Hospital?
- Online Consultation
Herniated disc disease and spinal stenosis is one of the leading causes of back pain in many patients. These symptoms can be relieved or cured by supportive treatment such as bed rest and taking medications, Physical therapy, or steroid injections. However, some patients do not respond to the above treatments. Still suffering from back pain and unable to live normally or are prone to chronic back pain.
Surgery will be another option to treat these symptoms. Advances in medical technology and surgical techniques have transformed the treatment of spinal disease. This article describes endoscopic surgery, a new surgical technique, which is used at the Bumrungrad Spine Institute, the incision will be 8 millimeters small and can access the problem point and greatly reduces the damage of the surrounding tissues.
What is Endoscopic Spinal Surgery
With standard surgery using microscope, the surgeon has to cut a healthy section of tissue to allow access to cut off the herniated disc and sometimes the incision may need to be enlarged to obtain the best vision of the surgery.
Endoscopic spinal surgery. Unlike microscopic surgery, the surgeon inserts the endoscope through an 8 mm incision. It is like a surgeon's eye in the patient's body allowing the doctor to see the abnormality clearly and accurately. Problems can arise without having to cut off the good muscles.
Similar to a small pipe with a diameter of 8 mm, with a lens attached at the end, with Optical fiber to aid vision and a small water pipe inside. All surgical instruments are inserted through this tube. Therefore, the incision is only 8 mm. The tip of the lens can be slightly tilted to help see the surrounding tissues.
Advantages of Endoscopic Spinal Surgery
- Small surgical wounds
- Less pain in surgical incision
- Low risk of infection
- Reduces the damage of fine tissue around the surgical area
- The patient recovers fast after the surgery and can go home within 24 hours.
- Less cost
Spinal Disease that Can be Treated with Endoscopic Spinal Surgery
Cause of herniated discs which is responsible to support the spine can be damaged on impact, and due to aging related to the wearing off the disc or disc degeneration and loss its flexibility. When an impact occurs, this will cause a swelling and pain or tear out, and pressure is applied over the nerve behind the narrowing spaces of the spine. When the bone deteriorates, it will cause stiffening together with the tendons, this cause constriction of the nerves running in the cavity.
Both diseases can lead to these symptoms.
- Back pain in the lumbar area
- The pain has come to the coccyx, thighs, calves, back of the feet. Soles or toes
- Muscle weakness, numbness in the legs
- Endoscope Spinal Surgery Procedures
After the patient has anesthesia. The doctor will insert an endoscope through an 8 mm incision directly into the pinched nerve without cutting through the good muscles. Endoscopes allow doctors to see the nerves clearly and can cut off only the part where the nerve is pressed, whether will be pressed against the herniated disc or compression from the joint and any tendons. The entire procedure takes about 30-45 minutes, then the patient. Able to walk immediately after surgery
Indications for Endoscopic Spinal Surgery
Endoscopic spinal surgery is usually performed when there are the following indications:
- Palliative care is not successful
- Has chronic pain or chronic pain for more than 3 months
- Severe leg weakness
- Cannot control excretion, urination or stool
Who Should Consider Endoscopic Spinal Surgery
- People with lumbar disc herniation
- People with spinal canal stenosis, especially grade 1
- People with facet cyst
Endoscopic Spinal Surgery Procedure
- After the patient is anesthetized, the doctor will insert the endoscope through an 8 mm. incision directly into the compressed nerve without cutting through the muscles.
- The endoscope will allow the doctor to see the nerve clearly and can choose to cut only the part that has pressed on the nerve. It will relieve pressure from the herniated disc or compression from the bone joints and ligaments.
- It takes about 30-45 minutes for herniated disc surgery.
- It takes about 60-90 minutes for stenosis surgery.
FAQ Related to Endoscopic Spinal Surgery
How much is the success rate of endoscopic spine surgery?
With the expertise of a doctor in Endoscopic Spinal Surgery technology, patients can walk back after surgery and relieve back pain.
How long does it take to recover from endoscopic spine surgery?
After surgery, patients may need to stay in the hospital for 1-2 nights for symptoms and complications. The doctor will then allow the patient to go home and recuperate and able to do their daily routines. Patient should exercise to build stronger back muscles but should be careful about lifting heavy objects or refrain from lifting heavy objects for about 3 months.
Endoscopic Spinal Surgery Conclusion
Endoscopic spine surgery is another option for treating chronic back pain, muscle weakness or numbness, inability to perform normal daily activities by reducing the size of the surgical incision is only 8 mm, reaching the real problem point and greatly reduce injury to nearby tissues.
Why choose Nakornthon Hospital?
At Nakornthon Absolute Spine Care, we are proud to be a treatment center with many spine specialists in collaboration with "Bumrungrad Health Network" for results in treatment with a full range of technology for more effective surgery. Nakornthon Absolute Spine Care’s specialists will discuss every procedure with the team of medical consultants; to come to the final conclusion in choosing the best treatment (Last opinion) for all patients.
Therefore, there is no need to worry about its worth and the changes in the body that may not relieve as anticipated. Because Nakornthon Absolute Spine Care would wish all patients who stepped in with back pain problems, resume with a smile and perfect physical fitness once again.
Pacakages and Promotions
Article of Nakornthon Absolute Spine Care
MRI Spine in Bangkok, Thailand
Vertebroplasty VS Kyphoplasty
Radiofrequency Ablation Side Effects
Non Surgical Back Pain Treatment in Bangkok
Herniated Disc - Symptom
Sciatica Pain - Treatments
Endoscopic Spinal Surgery
Treat Back Pain with Spinal Injections
TLIF Back Surgery
Back Pain - Causes, Symptoms
Lower Back Pain - Causes, Treatment
Neck Pain - Causes, Treatment
Working hard after curling up with a stiff back Occupations at risk of spinal disease
Do not ignore "back pain" it may be a warning sign of disease.
Recognize the symptoms of neck pain, the silent threat that is close to you
Important exercises for post spinal surgical procedure
7 routines that should be avoided if you do not want to suffer from chronic back pain